Tuesday, March 21, 2017

In Mosiah chapter 27 we read of Alma’s reaction to hearing that his son has been struck as if dead. His response seems odd to some, but I have gained a better understanding of it while studying Alma’s son’s account of his own experience in my Book of Mormon class this week. In Alma chapter 36 Alma the younger records his own experience of his dramatic conversion unto Christ. He talks about an angel appearing unto him as a result of the prayers by his father and many others concerned for him in Alma’s behalf. After which Alma recounts three days that he spends in darkness being “racked even with the pains of a damned soul…Yea and I had murdered many of his children or rather led them away unto destruction; yeah, and in fine so great had been my iniquities that the very thought of coming into the presence of God did rack my soul with inexpressible horror.” During this time he remembers the teachings of his father about a Jesus Christ who would come to save men from their sins and iniquities. He chooses to accept Christ and feels the pain of guilt no more. After this, Alma arises and his heart is changed.
 I have related a lot to this experience this year thinking of my younger brother who has dealt with hard things recently in his first year of high school. Although I want him to be happy right now, I know that sometimes God asks us to go through lonely or hard times in order to eventually have the opportunity to choose Him and the light he can provide in his life. So at this time, I can learn from Alma’s father’s example and practice persistence in prayers for my brother, faith in The Lord’s timing, and patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment